Tuesday, March 25, 2014

SXSW Day 5: Finale - Crying Nut

SXSW Day 5: March 15, 2014

Saturday was rainy. It put a damper on my plans to bike about the city chasing shows. I tried to catch Idiotape – but they weren't playing at their scheduled time in the venue I had written down (still not sure if they weren't playing at all, or if I had the info down wrong, but oh well!) I ended up checking out the convention center and buying some art at the Flatstock show. It was neat to see all the artists that are responsible for the band posters I collect.



Later in the evening I met up with Cindy from ATK Magazine and we headed up out of downtown to catch Crying Nut's last Austin show of the year. (In a terrifying taxi ride, I might add.)


I'm glad we went up there, because it was a great show. This charming little record store managed to pack in about 30-40 excited fans and new listeners. And that's saying something because it was a small little shop. But Crying Nut more than made up for the lack of space with their high energy set and engaging performance.



With Crying Nut's genuine enthusiasm for each show, it's easy to get swept up in their excitement and be just as engaged with the performance as they are. You'd never know Crying Nut have been together for 20 years by the way they act.

I hope that Crying Nut return to tour the US again and again, because seeing them live was one of the best experiences of SXSW. They just excude energy and genuine happiness while on stage and that's infectious – it lets the audience have just as much fun as they do. So I hope that someday they return and I'll get to see them again – and hopefully you will too!






This performance wrapped up my SXSW experience, and it was great to end my trip on such a positive note. Thanks to all the bands I got to see, and I'm definitely looking forward to next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please! Be courteous. I WILL delete any negative comments that are just arbitrarily negative.